Monday, February 6, 2017

Finding a Way to Make Art Less Stressful

     There are days I wonder how people make art not stressful for them.  Most artists begin their career, because they dislike their 9 to 5 job or they love art.  I love photography, but the other day I was painting for a client and I remembered how relaxing it was to paint.  I used to paint all the time when I was in middle school and high school for fun.  It was a way to do something other than read or go play outside.  I used my mom's old acrylics.  My mom is a painter who uses oils!  The thing that is crazy about my painting is that from one painting I did for fun I have had two commissions from it.
     How do you balance making art fun during the stressful times?  We have commissions, due dates, and lives.  I took to #social media and asked fellow artists on The Rising Tide Society page on Facebook and was able to get some great replies.  
     I heard from one artist named Kate Heitkamp say, "I take breaks to write out what I'm thankful for, either on my big office white board, or in a journal."  I have a journal also so I was like check that one off the list.  
     Next I heard from Tammy Roede Murray who said, 'I go outside and think small when life, photo work or the day job gets stressful, Macro is my escape.... no clients telling me what they want, no one to pose (I really struggle here because I get so shy and uncomfortable giving direction).... just bugs and flowers, water droplets and mushrooms!  This is something I try to do, but I definitely need to do more of in the future.
How awesome is this image by Tammy Roede Murray?
     Last I heard from Michele Bourquin who is a painter.  She said, "I'm a painter.  I try to stagger my work - commission piece.... independent piece.... commission piece etc.  It relieves the stress of commission work." 
      There are so many ways we can make art more and not #stressful.  We have to remember to maintain the balance between friends, family, work, social media, and everything else in our life.  We need to make time for ourselves.  Balance is definitely my answer for keeping art fun!




As always please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram


#birminghamphotographer #alabamaphotographer #art #fun 

26 comments:

  1. When I'm feeling stressed, I try to make sure to take a break for a personal project. Even if it is just editing a handful of photos. It helps me relax and refocus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this answer! I thought I was the only one who liked editing photos!

      Delete
  2. Taking a break is definitely a good idea - that's what I do whenever I'm stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance is so important in so many areas of our lives, it only makes sense that it would be helpful with art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I need a break from the stress, I like to take a hot bubble bath with a good book or I will turn the lights out soaking in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such valid points need to use them more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. Balance is so important

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good thing to remember to do. I will have to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balance is definitely key! And I've found a lot of happiness in the ability to say no when something isn't the right fit or timing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely agree! I will try these

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - balance is a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taking breaks and making time is SO important. Anytime I can get outside is a huge stress reliever for me, even if it's just to sit and enjoy being there for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going on walks with my dogs even if it is for only 5 minutes!

      Delete
  12. Great blog post!!! I drink wine. To relax. #balance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this! Being an artist sure is hard ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! I feel as an artist some people think it is really easy.

      Delete
  14. It's crazy how art is supposed to be calming (and it is!) but also can ge pretty stress filled sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think taking the time to do more projects for yourself can bring back inspiration and excitement to the art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am enjoying reading all your comments and feedback! Thank you so much taking the time to read my blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think all artists struggle with this. We want to make art our career and love it at first. Then it starts to become a grind and you get burnt out. You have to try to figure out a way to love it again. I think going back to hand drawing and coloring has helped me some. Plus just getting outside and being active is something I enjoy just to get a break.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Completely agree. Balance is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to stop and do a personal project. Something I really have been wanting to do and not just because they are paying clients. It really helps <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely agree that finding balance is key. Otherwise you'll get burned out so fast!

    ReplyDelete